Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"English Surfing"

Believe it or not, people surf in areas other than Hawaii, California, and other tropical locales. Warm weather is not a requirement to surf...big waves are. And big waves hit a small coastal town off of Cromwell, England. In fact, stormy weather created 50 FOOT WAVES. If you know anything about surfers, it's that they have one of two things: a low brain cell count or brass kahunas (the good ones have both). Naturally, a couple guys fit the bill in this town and decided to battle nature. Check them out (on left). I love looking at good images and video of surfing. I admire the surfers that do it - I think it's awesome. That right there though...that's just stupidity at its peak. The waves don't even look like waves - they look like a giant mess of evil water. Don't get me wrong...I think it takes some real guts (or some hard substance abuse) to get out there. I would NEVER do what they did.

So let's give it up for the surfers of England. Dumb and tough. It takes a lot to bring a surfboard out in a mess like that...oh wait, let's take another look at these guys (right). They're riding BOOGIE BOARDS. I can't take them seriously anymore. I admit I cruised the waves of the Jersey shore quite a few times on my yellow boogie board...when I was 12. It's hard to admire someone for using something called a "boogie board." Besides, not surprisingly, they couldn't even ride the waves (they couldn't boogie!) I love the caption on this picture: "The surfer stands no chance of riding the wave as the foaming white surf closes in. He is seen being violently tossed in the air as it crashes in over him. Incredibly, he managed to avoid injury. The other surfer is nowhere to be seen." Yep...that about sums it up!



No comments: