Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Cloverfield / Heath Ledger

*Don't worry...if you're planning on seeing this movie, I will not spoil it.*

So...I gave into the hype and just saw Cloverfield with my brother and his girlfriend. If you haven't heard of it, you live under a rock. I was a bit hesitant to see it right away because I felt like disappointment was inevitable with something that had so much hype. Creating teasers and trailers for movies is difficult. You want to intrigue people and suck them into seeing your movie but you don't want to give too much away. You want to create a lot of hype but you want to be able to back up the hype that you create.

Anyways, I was not disappointed. I wasn't beaming with excitement either though. I was somewhere in between...but mostly, I was confused, because I felt like there had to be something more to it. I avoided the massive amounts of articles on the movie that popped up over the weekend, but I just had to check some of them out when I got home about an hour ago. It turns out there is a lot more to it...and I haven't read everything, but it seems a bit interesting...atleast cool that this movie (assuming that this is all intentional) has connected with the online community to make the movie more than just an hour and a half in the theater.

I'll leave it at that...if you do end up seeing it, or want to give in to your curiousity, this article sums up the super-secret stuff.

In other news, which I found out right before we went to the movie, Heath Ledger died. He was found today, 28 years old, with sleeping pills around his body. Especially sad and surprising since a lot of people (definitely myself included) are looking forward to his performance as the Joker in the new Batman film coming out this summer.



2 comments:

Geeks of Doom said...

This is definitely a sad day for the movie industry as he was a fine, fine actor. What a shame!

On a different note altogether, thank you for linking to our Cloverfield dissection.

Best,
Dave3

Kevin said...

No problem...thank you for clearing up my confusion.